Wednesday 1 January 2014

Festive Wedding Cake

Hello and Happy New Year! I hope you have all managed to escape the flooding and power cuts the recent weather conditions have resulted in - we have been blessed in our part of Dorset, so, so lucky.
 
One of my New Year's resolutions is to catch up on my blog posts - I have a backlog of craft/cake projects to put on...here is the first!
 
I was recently asked to make a wedding cake for my Boss's sister - the brief was to make it festive with a cranberry/silver and white colour palette with a touch of holly, making a sugarpaste ribbon the feature on the top tier...
 
To create the ribbon loops, I mixed some Gum Tragacanth (a plant derived powder which is used to stiffen sugarpaste, making it set harder and hold it's shape), into the cranberry paste, wrapped it in clingfilm and left it overnight. I then created the loops from lengths of paste and secured a cocktail stick into the end of each loop using a little cool, boiled water, shaped them and left them to dry out.
 
 
 
I opted to use the cocktail sticks as the cake had to be transported across country
and they prevented the loops from slipping!
 
 
What I love about cake decorating, is that each cake teaches me something different and
new and inspires me to try out more techniques!
 
Thank you for looking
Have a great 2014!
 
Jill x
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

You might also like